Friday, December 31, 2010

Sophia, Sophia...where art thou?

So back when I was small and in the back of my parent's Cadillac or Lincoln Towncar. I think they had both of those cars when I was little and I hated one of them with a passion. Anyways, I remember always talking about an invisible friend named Sophia. I use to do it for my entertainment and then once my parents played along with me I felt more inclined to keep Sophia alive to keep them entertained as well. I was entertaining myself watching them amazed at how I would react to a person that really didn't exist. I was hoping for them to wonder if I really saw someone but as I got older, Sophia kind of sucked. I would forget about her and close her in the door and my parents would bring her up from time to time long after the lifeless, stubborn, rude, and invisible friend was dead to me. Sophia was the type of friend that kept me company and who I had to talk to when my mother told me to sit back and be quiet. The backseat was huge and I had to find someone to share it with and talk to. Sophia was my escape to say something when there was nothing else to be said or no one would listen. I recently thought of her and felt like looking her name up to see what she meant. I never knew or met anyone named Sophia. My dad use to ask me where I got the name from and I had no idea. However, the fact that her memory comes to me, it makes me wonder. Sophia means "wisdom" in Greek and has the theological concept of having "wisdom of God". I find this so important because my father and I discussed life application according to the Bible a few weeks ago. I told my dad what I really wanted and felt I needed in my life. I am not getting any younger.

I don't tell my dad much but he is one that embraces God's wisdom and may not be living in my world, but can identify what my world may be like through what he has learned in his studies. He really talked to me about the Bible and what I need to be doing and that although the instructions of the Bible may be ancient and seem not to apply in this changing world, it is still beyond relevant. I don't have any resolutions going into 2011. However, I know that in order for my future groom to find me, I need to get something inside of me that a virtuous woman needs and that's my invisible friend "Sophia". The one thing that I knew was there but no one could see. I need the "wisdom of God" and his armor to shield me. All these other things that I desire will come me, but I need to make sure that I prove myself to the man that sees the God in me. I thank God for the memory of "Sophia". The invisible childhood friend has given me and adult moment of clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment